View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #389
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought that was one of the best episodes, if not the best episode, of Rebels we've had. I loved how fast it was over, that's how it should have been, this Maul was ragged and twisted, it wasn't the strong version we knew years ago in TCW, time, jealousy, envy, revenge had all taken an ugly toll on Maul while it has had the opposite affect on Obi-Wan. While Maul was frothing at the mouth lashing out, seeming to be a rabid dog chasing a car, not even sure what to do with it when he caught it, Obi-Wan was training in peace and with purpose, the most important job in the galaxy, defending Luke.

I loved how Obi-Wan's temperament changed when Maul caught on to why he was there, it went from I pity you to I must defeat you, then pity again after. It also speaks to Obi-Wan's Jedi mastery that he was not petty at all for the murder of his former friend/lover/whatever she was, the Mandalorean, he simply just had pity in his eyes and perhaps a little compassion for what Maul had gone through internally all this years. It's like talking to a dude at your 10 year high school reunion who admits all this time he was pissed off about some burn you said to him at a party.. how can you not let things go?

I admit that some of the build up seems like it could have been shorter for this, all the twisting and turning to get here. But it is a tv show and they are known for that.. all and all I was very happy with the episode. Especially the ending, with the subtle theme music playing at the end and Luke bounding across the desert, pretty cool way to cap it off.

I'm glad we can get closure on Maul and Obi-Wan's feud and that we were able to see just how close it all came to Luke, and that it wasn't all just sitting around and waiting. Ready for them to get back to the Lothal stuff now though and hopefully focus more on Ezra's darkside battle and building the Rebellion next season.

I think this article with Dave Filoni, the Executive Producer of Rebels, will help shed some light on why things went down the way they did:

Quote:
“I felt strongly Obi-Wan, if he could help it, would really rather not kill Darth Maul. Obi-Wan is at a point, in my mind, where he’s become rather enlightened. He’s been in the desert discovering who he is, really evolving as a character. He’s not that young brash kid that went into a fight with Maul out of anger for the fact his master was killed. It can’t be that same situation this is so many years later. Maul, for his part, is pretty much hung up on that exact moment. That’s where his life went wrong. He can’t let it go.”
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-producer-...ium=socialflow

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post: