View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #355
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Notley and Ceci tried to introduce protectionist taxation schemes designed to punish out of province/region beer producers. The courts issued an injunction against it on the basis they were unconstitutional restraint on interprovincial trade.

They are trying again - by taxing everyone equally but offering rebates for local producers. The exact same differential taxation scheme now coupled with a cynical attempt to do an end-run around the constitution. This one is still currently in effect, but there was a hearing yesterday about the legality of it. No result from that yet, but as NDP fiscal policy so often does, this taxation scheme has had devastating effects on producers and retailers from both within Alberta and without.
Didn't that legislation fail because some of the imported beer labels were actually manufactured locally?

I think that the easiest way to hurt BC for example is to realign the carbon tax which currently makes imported goods carbon tax exempt, in effect putting Alberta made goods at a price disadvantage. Adjust it so that goods coming into the province have to pay carbon tax based on the need to transport the goods to market.

I also think that it would be entirely legal to put cross border vehicle inspections in place, especially in light of how many Alberta trucks failed safety inspections.

Basically create a cross border inspection point, and bill the BC companies $100.00 a inspection, and if it lines up and goods go bad, that's the way it is.

I don't mind the idea of tax rebates for Alberta made goods in direct competition with BC goods, but the managing of that could be a nightmare.

Also the article below of turning shipments to BC off in terms of things like Oil and Gas harkens back to the let the bastards freeze in the dark. A friend of mine who's even more nutty then me suggested that we shut down all oil and gas production in Alberta for the span of two years and only produce for local business. Make this province a have not province and put as many people on the Federal Unemployment program as possible. That's a little Machiavellian for my tastes though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote