View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Hi Drury,
Considering Bennett and Ferland have likely assured themselves a place on next year's roster, there will likely only be place for one more forward (if that). Who sticks?
Shore as he is waiver eligible?
Wolf (also waiver eligible I believe)?
Granlund?

Or will there be a diamond in the rough (a la Jooris)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
I agree, if things stay as is with the team, there is probably only one open forward spot. There could potentially be a second if Byron is not re-signed at the end of the season as well.

Right now, I think Granlund gets that last spot. Shore already requires waivers but when he was called up, he sat on the bench, he only has 11 NHL games despite being called up January 20th. I'm not sure what the organization plans to do with him going forward as he's a bit of a limbo situation. I don't particularly feel confident with him on an NHL roster right now. Hartley has shown a preference to play Granlund and I think with 48 games this year and time in the playoffs, we can consider Granlund an NHL player. When he was sent down, he was sent down because of roster space needed and being the easiest person to move. I don't think it was due to his play. So I think Granlund locks up that spot.

I would LOVE Wolf to make the roster, but I think that requires moving a 4th line guy out. Bollig would need to be shipped out and with the term on his contract, I don't know if that's realistic. I think Wolf brings more to the table then Bollig and a better fit for the style of the organization, but Bollig is under contract until 2017-18 and with low scoring goon type roles going out, I don't know if they have a market to trade him. I'm not sure he's been so bad you buy him out either.

If moves are made and spots are opened up for a kid to steal one (or be so good it forces the Flames to open a spot) it will be Garnet Hathaway. I think he almost forced a hand last year but Jooris showed him up just a little more. I won't be shocked if opening day Hathaway manages to stick around on the roster for a couple games.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post: