View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #61
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I don't think you're understanding the service. It wouldn't work in rural areas, but it would work in Calgary just fine. At any point in time, there would be a car within 1 minute of where you are based on density and it would come for you. Think of it exactly like uber, but with exponentially more cars available and made more convenient by algorithms having placed them in more conveniently available areas. The car picks you up and drops you off as often as you like.

For example, after a hockey game there would be thousands of cars available at a set of pre determined areas. You hop in and go. You want to go to the mall at 3pm on a wednesday, you open the app, hail a car, and within a minute it's there. All for much lower than owning a car, because that one car transports about 5-10 times as many people as 1 car owned by a single owner.
And so if you live in the suburbs or outside the city, the idea would be that you have a self-driving vehicle of your own? If not, you drive to these pre-determined areas, park, and get in a publicly available unit?

I'm just trying to envision all this and the marginal benefits really don't seem to be worth the costs at all. Our entire infrastructure system would have to be completely redesigned and redeveloped. It just doesn't feel like this will ever be a concern in my life time. It's like Back to the Future II predicting 2015 in 1987.

Last edited by Ashasx; 05-07-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote