View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I find in general people don't like him because of his dad.
That's really only true in Western Canada (Alberta especially). In Ontario, Quebec, and the Atlantic provinces, Pierre Trudeau is generally well-liked. He was, afterall, voted as the third greatest Canadian a few years ago.

Quote:
What is it about his policies that people don't like? I'd be more interested in the opinion of MarchHare and other Liberals.
I think he's too young and inexperienced. His brand and popularity is almost entirely based on his father's name recognition. Many people throughout the country will vote for/against him solely because of that, not on Justin's own merits (or lack thereof). As far as I know, he's represented the citizens of his riding well enough as a member of the opposition, but he's never served in cabinet or held any kind of executive leadership position. In Canada, there's an incredible amount of power centralized in the PMO, and I think he'd be in over his head. It's one thing to represent a riding of ~100,000 people from the opposition side of the aisle, it's another thing altogether to lead a country of ~35 million. I'm not 100% opposed to him ever leading the Liberals, but I'd prefer if someone more experienced led the party back to power first and allow Trudeau to gain some seasoning in a prominent cabinet posting (say Foreign Affairs, Health, Labour, or House Leader).

Caveat: all of those comments applied equally to Stephen Harper before he became PM in 2006. YMMV if you consider Harper a success as PM.

Last edited by MarchHare; 09-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post: