Old 03-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brouwer discussion

Some quotes from Gaskal/SS:

Quote:
Gaskal:
Brouwer needs to sit a game at some point if his on-ice performance keeps tanking. With Gio performing the way he is lately, along with Backs and 3M, it's not like more leadership in the room is needed right now.

With this crucial stretch of games coming up we can't really afford to play someone and hope they break their funk - maybe a healthy scratch will do him a world of good.

SS:
He's playing well, not sure what your qualm with him is. He's not getting points, but he's making many smart little plays along the boards and in front of the net. He's reliable defensively and the team has been one of the best in the league for almost 3/4 of the season, all with him in the lineup.

I get it, he makes too much money to not be contributing on the scoresheet. Sure he's had a few bad games, but who hasn't? But honestly, if things keep going the way they have, does that really matter? If they keep on winning, he could make 10M a season and score 0 points for all I care. I like what he's brought to this team this season. They've scored a number of goals as a direct result of his willingness to go to the front of the net and cause problems for opposing netminders and seems like a great fit in the locker room, from what I've seen. Guys like that are important, especially at this time of year.
Sorry SS, but I'm not seeing even the smart little plays along the boards and in front of the net. About 10-15 games ago yeah he was doing great with the screens for Monahan scoring and some other intangibles but yikes what a mediocre to poor player he has been now for quite some time.

What I see now is slow hands, second guessing, losing puck battles, losing Corsi battles etc. At least he hits every once in awhile but man he has been a HUGE disappointment so far. I agree, I think a healthy scratch could snap him out of it.