View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CPHL'ers in the NHL - Surprised, Disappointed or Met Expectations?

I'm not sure how many other folks followed NHL's training camps closely...I don't like Pre-Season but I'm fascinated by the stories that come out of them.

I made a conscious focus last year to trade for guys that I hoped would take a step up this year.

There can also be a butterfly effect on the CPHL squad, a prime example being Jean-Francois Berube (I just got dumb-ass lucky on this one)

Here are the results of the notable guys:

SURPRISED (In a good way)

Jarnkrok - Looks like he'll be starting the season as a Top 6 winger. Got lots of praise from Laviolette and will get more chance to produce.

Prince - I thought he'd have an outside chance making the Sens, but for now he's on the team. Still in a battle with Puempel until MacArthur comes back, but has the edge since Prince is waiver eligible.

Josefson - Figured he'd be a 3rd line centre, but has played well enough to be starting as 2nd line centre.

Tyler Randell - Random signing, looks like he has made the 4th line. Not an amazing player, but a cheap 4th liner is always good to have...means I don't need to worry about Free Agency as much.

Oscar Lindberg - Wasn't sure he'd make the roster, let alone be penciled in to start as 3rd line centre. Great training camp, hopefully it continues.

Jean-Francois Berube - Shows how quickly things can change. Went from being stuck behind Quick to being picked up by the Isles on waivers since the Lightning claimed Poulin...and now it looks like he is the backup.

Slater Koekkoek - He has made a fairly deep Lightning squad. I was hoping he'd make it, but didn't know. He was steady and should hopefully establish himself as a Top 4 guy sooner than later.

Gustav Olofsson - Didn't make the Wild, but sounds like he was a standout in Camp and is likely higher on the Wild defensive depth chart now.

Brandon Bollig - Was a bit disappointed with his play last year outside of playoffs, but this pre-season he has impressed. Maybe he can put up a few points and push for 3rd line ratings.

DISAPPOINTED

Derrick Pouliot - WTF. He craps the bed so bad in pre-season that he gets demoted to the AHL. Love the move from the coach...prove to me that you belong here. Fascinated to see what happens here.

Vincent Lecavalier - Some might think this should have been expected, but I am pretty surprised he is a healthy scratch already. Man has his career gone downhill quickly.

Mark McNeill - Was hoping he'd find a way to make the Hawks after a strong season last year in the AHL. Hoping he can light it up and earn a call-up.

Calvin Pickard - Not completely surprised given Berra's contract in the NHL, but sounds like he was very good in pre-season. I'll have to be patient with him, we'll see if the Avs can be as well. His next 1-year contract this summer will be intriguing.

Stuart Percy - Thought he'd have a chance to make a weak Leafs squad. Seems he played well but was outplayed by Scott Harrington...will see how his year goes!

MET EXPECTATIONS

Cam Ward - My biggest risk move of the off-season, and it looks like he has solidifed (for now) the starting goaltender's position. I figured Lack wouldn't beat him, but Lack made a strong push and will give the Canes' a strong 1a/1b tandem.

Brett Connolly - Became a bigger risk with Anisimov getting moved to the Hawks, but looks like he has settled in on the 3rd line where I figured he'd end up and scored a few times in pre-season. Hoping for a 20g year...will see.

Who were you Surprised or Disappointed by?

Last edited by simmer2; 10-06-2015 at 01:37 PM.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post: