View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #46
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I get your point completely. But not all laws make sense - and that's not to say I have a better alternative.

If I receive a ticket for going 42 in a 30, 8pm on a pitch black night when it's -25º - where that 30 is a playground zone - I get frustrated because there's no way there are kids outside playing at that hour in that weather. 42 is not a crazy speed and as long as road conditions are dry, it bothers me that's what I get nailed for. Yes, 60 in a 30 is stupid. Yes 130 in a 110 is pushing it. But there should be times where common sense should prevail. And because it won't, I'd love a way to know when I'm about to be targeted. I look for speed traps anyway - having a system automatically alert me seems safer than constantly being slightly distracted...
While I understand your point (and I usually complain about playground zones myself, living near one of the worst), you've decided arbitrarily what the acceptable limits are before you should get caught. You've decided that 42 in a 30 (40% over the speed limit) and 130 in a 110 (18% over the speed limit) are equally worthy of being pulled over. Why?

In the first case, you're right in that the likelihood of seeing a child playing in a playground zone in the dead of winter after dark is unlikely these days. However, setting a uniform time year round does have the benefit of removing any doubt of when you should be going slower. In your specific example, we're not going to be able to see black ice on the road at -25 at night, so I wouldn't want to bet on that in the rare case a kid is actually out there.

In the second case, people's opinions on what is safe on a highway differ drastically. Many people on this forum would say 140 is where things get hairy, but really...at 110 and up, good luck stopping quick enough on a congested Highway 2 when there's an accident in front of you. The only real difference in examples is that you're crashing into a vehicle designed to absorb impacts, instead of potentially a human being in a playground zone who can't take a hit from a car.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote