Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #39
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Having worked in the video production industry, I can tell you that broadcasters regularly compress video and providers may also compress a compressed signal which immediately causes the benefits of these sources to slide. Even after 10+ years of HD standard broadcasting, you still see sub-standard content being passed off as full HD. I have complete confidence in saying it will be another 5-10 years before HD is even considered to be phased out into 4K en masse and likely even longer before you start to see recurring, high end 4K content constantly available.

Go out and buy the best HD equipment you can afford instead of going for a 4K device that isn't even supported by much at all right now. A screen that can process the blacks and colours extremely well is more valuable than anything else imo. As other's have mentioned, even under the best conditions you'd be hard pressed to notice an immense difference between 4k and HD unless you are considering a top of the line screen against a mediocre one....This isn't at all similar to the massive SD-HD changes we experienced years ago.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-09-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote