View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 1/3 of the way through: 2013 awards discussion

There have been some great performances through the first 1/3 of the season. I always like to start the discussion on awards around 20-25 games in regular 82 game seasons, so let's get it going around 15 games in this year.

Hart Trophy:

Viktor Fasth has been unbelievable, rocketing the Ducks to the top of the Western Conference with an 8-0-0 record, .933 sv%, and 1.78 GAA. If he keeps those numbers up in this shortened season I don't see a scenario where he doesn't win the Vezina at least, and maybe the Hart, too. He would be the first goalie to win since Jose Theodore stole it from Jarome in 2002.

Jonathan Toews is the best player on the best team in the NHL. Blackhawks are 12-0-3 and Toews has racked up a point a game and been a beast in the faceoff circle

Sidney Crosby has 24 points in 16 games and the Penguins are at the top of the Eastern Conference. In his last 82 regular season games he's scored 136 points, which is just insane. Best player in the game by far and if the Penguins finish top of the East he's got a great shot at the Hart.

Jack Adams:

Bruce Boudreau has a Ducks team that finished 34-36-12 off to a 12-2-1 start early this season. With a core that has won before, the Ducks could really make some noise in the Western Conference.

Michel Therrien has the Canadiens off to a great start at 10-4-1 after finishing last season in the basement of the Eastern Conference.

Randy Carlyle's Maple Leafs are playing quite well, but can Toronto keep up the good start? They haven't been able to in the past.

Vezina Trophy:

Pekka Rinne is doing what he usually does in Nashville. .938 sv% and a 1.58 GAA so far this year.

Viktor Fasth is 8-0-0 and pretty impressive so far in Anaheim.

Carey Price has been great so far for the Canadiens. 8-3-0 with a .922 sv% and 2.06 GAA.

Craig Anderson is 7-4-2 with a .948 sv% and a 1.68 GAA, will that change now with Erik Karlsson done for the year and Spezza not returning in the near future?

Stats-based trophies:

James Neal or John Tavares is my guess for the Richard trophy, Sidney Crosby for the Art Ross.

Norris Trophy:

This one's way too close to call at this point, especially with Karlsson out for the rest of the year. Early guess is Kris Letang or Alex Pietrangelo but honestly who knows. This one is totally up for grabs.

Selke Trophy:

Could be any of Jonathan Toews, Pavel Datsyuk, or Patrice Bergeron. Another one that's definitely up for grabs for whoever wants it most!

Calder Trophy:

Cory Conacher and Vladimir Tarasenko are off to pretty good starts for their teams. Jake Allen has been solid so far in net for the Blues, but does he keep the job when Halak returns?

Lady Byng Trophy:

No one really cares, but I think Martin St. Louis is the favorite for this one.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 02-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post: