View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #65
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
The problem is that trades that make the Jays "look bad" aren't thought of like that in the industry. Fans love to cheer against prospects after their team trades them, but that is the last thing they should be doing. If all your prospects bust after you've shipped them off, it will have an impact on future trades and how other teams view your prospects.

Trading away a Syndergaard sucks from a fan perspective, but from the team's perspective it definitely will help give credibility to your development system to other teams. They will obviously due their due diligence and have their own scouting/analytics to help judge that prospect, but there's still a lot of uncertainty with any prospect and having traded away some prospects that developed into impact big leaguers allows other teams to feel safe knowing you haven't sold them a poor bill of goods.
The problem with the Syndergaard trade wasn't that he was traded, it was who he was traded for. That Syndergaard package could have fetched any available ace on the market. Instead they went with RA Dickey who was a big name coming off a Cy Young fans would recognize, but because of his limited success prior to that combined with his age, he's not a guy that would be commanding 20M a year over a 7 year term.

There was serious questions with RA Dickey from the day that trade was made by most baseball people not employed by Rogers media. This guy relied on a gimmick pitch and was going to the AL East where the fields are much smaller, the pitcher doesn't bat, and the lineups are perennial powerhouses. It was a bad decisions from day 1.

I don't think Dickey would have ever replicated his CY Young numbers, but I do feel he would have been much more productive had he remained in the National League. I bet he signs in the NL this offseason and has a really good year. He was not the guy Toronto should have pursued though.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote