View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
As I recall from working at earl's the tipping went like this

5.5% tip out to kitchen. 1% to night leader, 1% to the server that has to prep the food and call out when it is ready, 1% to the bar. I might be getting this wrong, for some reason I don't remember it being 10%, but I also remember that if you didn't get a ~ 10% tip, you were paying for people to eat there.

Who knows. All I can say is that you can't pay me enough money to go back to serving. The job is stressful, you are always running around, things can get screwed up really easy, and you have to rely on other people to help you get your tips. If the kitchen, bar, hostess, screw up you eat the result in your tips for the night. I also really didn't like how they would just throw out food that was made wrong and not let servers or kitchen staff eat it.....
8.5% is insane, and I would never work at a place (especially an Earl's) that charged that kind of tip-out. From jobs I've had the standard is somewhere from 3 to 5.5%. It's not worth your time any higher than 5 or 6% at a chain restaurant like that.

As far as mistake food, it's a slippery slope. If you let people eat the food, then mistakes start to happen more often just because someone's hungry. And although as a restaurant manager you'd like to think it doesn't or wouldn't happen, it does. Often. One place I worked offered mistakes to staff at $4 or $5 an item (depending what it was), if no one took the offer then it was garbage.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote