View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I rank based on trade value. I went with Mangipane because I think he has some offensive upside. Kulak's ceiling doesn't seem very high to me.
That said you could argue a young cheap dman might still be worth more than an undersized kid who has a chance to be a top two line winger. Dmen are worth so much more in trade than wingers in general. Guess it depends how much of a sure thing you think Mangiapane is and how limited you think Kulak's upside is.

What did Brodie look like when he was first breaking in compared to now? I'm not suggesting Kulak has Brodie's upside at all but Kulak looking like a bottom pairing guy so far doesnt mean with increased confidence that he couldn't be a 4/5 guy long term. Sometimes dmen really blossom in their early to mid 20's. I think Kulak certainly has the skill and skating to be more than a 6/7.

Dmen are just so valuable in the NHL. I think making the argument a value one actually helps Kulak's case not hurts it. Centres are comparable in value to dmen but wingers are IMO the least valuable assets in the NHL in general.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote