View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Buffet is a notorious saver and had saved $99,000 in today's dollars by the time he was finished university to fund his investments (keep in mind that savings = investment, many people think that saving is leaving money in a bank account to devalue over time).
I see what you're saying with the definition, but I don't believe savings and investment are the same. Maybe there's an official definition somewhere and I just need to look it up.

Saving, to me, just means cutting back - being prudent. In the context of the article, it's cutting back on a $20 purchase, which means you've saved $20.

Investing, is taking that $20 and turning that into something else - whether it's into a business, stocks, bonds or whatever asset class.

The issue is that a lot of these rich guys tell you that saving $20 (or even $20 a week) will allow you to pay for a $100,000 down payment.

It won't - the best way to get to the $100,000 down payment is investing and developing new income streams, but noone really teaches people how to get there (ie. giving people a reason to save).
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post: