View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
So if we go by your model of online-only schooling, as a student I would never:
Where did I suggest online-only learning? In the flip model, the lectures are delivered digitally wherever is convenient for the student, and then the students gather on campus for group work moderated by instructors.

Half of the courses I took in university had no interaction. No question and answer. No discussion. Just a lecturer barely able to muster any enthusiasm speaking at a bunch of students taking notes. At the time I didn't complain much because university only cost $3k or $4k a year. The prospect of paying $15k to $20k a year for the same experience is infuriating.

Quote:
-Learn the value of a schedule; I can start my class at 7:55am or 8:30am and there is no difference to me as I would learn the same stuff. So when it comes to meeting people, sure, we can agree to meet at 8, but me showing up at 8:30 is not an issue.
-Understand the value of discipline and courtesy; I can sit at home and watch my lecture while texting away and playing cat videos loudly.
Learning to manage your time is a part of being a student - being an adult, actually. No doubt a lot of people would fail at that. But then, a lot of people aren't ready for university at 18. Spending enormous sums of money trying to shield young adults from their lack of discipline seems like a waste of money. And we aren't even doing that great a job of it now, as a third of Canadian students drop out in their first two years.

Quote:
-Have the opportunity to meet their college sweetheart
-Be bothered to walk down the hall to the undergrad office and ask for advice; I would just post my question online and accept random answers and criticism from people, whether the answers are right or wrong.
-See a random poster for volunteering at the mustard seed and decide that I should join and meet people
-Walk by a crowd and peak in to see what is going on
-Meet people in my classroom setting and go out for beers together
You would still do all that stuff in a flipped school model.

Quote:
-Understand the value of whispering to the guy next to you asking what the foreign heavy-accent prof just said.
Lecturers would be hired strictly on the basis of their skill at lecturing. There wouldn't be any need for them to be on that particular campus, or even in the same province. The notion that the one-way communication of a university lecture has to delivered in 2017 by a person who is in a particular building seems absurd. Most profs don't even like lecturing anyway.

Quote:
-Be forced to take notes; hearing something vs writing something down in repetition are completely different learning styles
You can take notes from a video lecture as easily as you can a live lecture.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-17-2017 at 01:15 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote