View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #575
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
So I was hardening my tomatoes until I forgot to take it in one night and now they look so withery and sad. The leaves have some white substance which apparently to google is from the shock. Whoopsies. Hope they can come back. One of the two plants look okay, the other, well... let's hope it survives. Any tips to bring it back to life?

Also, I bought a bag of pro-mix potting soil and some miracle grow fertilizer for tomatoes. Is this soil any good and should I be fertilizing it already?
I don't fertilize for at least a month. There is enough nutrition in the new soil for that period of time.

Then I fertilize about once every 10 days. I use the same fertilizer that you bought. It is water soluble so you can use it one of two ways. You can dissolve 1 Tbsp in about 1 gallon of water and use that or sprinkle the Tbsp of fertilizer evenly over the soil in the tomato pot and then water it in. I usually go the second route...easier and quicker.

Not sure what that white substance is on your tomatoes. Is it on the stem of the plant as well or just the leaves? Can you actually scrape it off? Picture?

Sounds more like frost bite to me...in which case the leaves will dry up in those places. If the stem is ok the plant should come back.

EDIT: I should add that I cut back on the frequency of fertilizing middle to third week of August. You want to encourage development and ripening of fruit at that time instead of a bunch of new growth.

Also, if you have grown indeterminate tomatoes, start pruning the tops once they are 5 to 6 feet tall...same principle, encourage fruit development instead of new growth.

Last edited by redforever; 05-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote