View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #573
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
In our back planter the only thing we actually like is the lilac bush (fully mature already). Everything else that grows in there is basically just weeds and we'd like to start fresh, keeping the lilac in there of course.

Can I just get Round Up (probably the one you attach to a hose) and go wild, being careful to avoid the lilac bush? The lilac itself would be easy to avoid, and it seems no mater how much we fight the weeds, they always come back. Not sure if the round up in the soil would then kill the lilac?

If that is a bad idea, are there any alternatives? I just hate looking in the planter and seeing all this ugly growth that I just can't seem to get rid of.
well, round up will certainly kill the weeds but wont go into the soil and kill the lilac, assuming you don't completely saturate the soil, which in that case the hose end attachment is probably a little aggressive. If you really want to keep those weeds from coming back up hire a professional, they will probably put some casaron down. Casaron is a pre-emergent that basically forms a layer on the ground, anything trying to penetrate through that layer is killed, perfect for established woody plants you are looking to keep weeds out of you. It's expensive but works really, really well