View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I wouldn't pay $300 for that. It's too old, and if it's been dinged around then who knows how it's been treated. As you've just found out, Apple products are expensive to fix after warranty. Even looking at the specs makes me shudder. 667MHz RAM? eep. I get that you're looking for something cheap, but there has to be something better than that out there.

I'm sure you can find a newer white MacBook in the $400-$500 range that will last you a lot longer and perform a lot better than that one will.

Edit: If you're set on buying that one, though, the first thing you want to check is the battery. $300 for a MBP doesn't seem so awesome when you have to pay another $150 for a new battery. You can look up the battery stats in System Info app. Also, "acquire" a copy of the Apple Service Diagnostics tool and burn it to a disk. Ask her to let you run it, and it will test everything and tell you if something is about to fail or has failed or isn't working properly etc etc.
Whats wrong with the 667mhz RAM? It’s a plastic macbook, they didn’t transition to 800mhz DDR3 until 2009.

Assuming the machine is in good shape, thats perfectly fine, and will probably be faster than the G5 its replacing.

My Mac Mini is a 2.0Ghz C2D with 2 gigs of the same RAM and its fine for surfing, email, Garageband recording, guitar amp modelling, and also functions as a full time EyeTV PVR and iTunes server, as well as a print server, and a file server for nightly SuperDuper backups of the other machines in the house.

The battery is really the only concern on that machine.