View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #45
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

One topic that I think was mentioned yesterday that too many here take for fact is that life in Canada/USA (both personally and professionally) are better then overseas - I think this was mentioned somewhere about "who wants to play in Moscow." Now to me, if I were given the option to live anywhere as a young athlete, I don't think Calgary or Edmonton would be my first choice. I can't see Philly or Detriot or Pittsburg or Buffalo being first on anyone's list either, and would rather be in Stockholm then Detriot. Yet we are under the notion that it is desirable to play in NA over Russia which may not necessary be true. Also, we sometimes overlook the perks to playing overseas in Sweden, Finland, Czech, etc.

So a good topic would be to get a roundtable (if possible) of some guys that did play overseas and aside from the prestiege of the league and the cup, how life differs between Canada, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Switzerland, Italy, Japan et al and what their preference. Might be hard, but some digging of some lower end pro's like Giordano, Tkaczuk, Fata, McLennan and so on might work.