Thread: Mortgage Broker
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #181
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great article here that accurately reflects what it's like today. It used to be easy to give rate quotes to clients within the first 10 seconds of a phone call, but that has completely changed in the last 6 months-year.

I feel a little car-salesman-y (the sleezy ones, not the good ones ) when I tell potential new clients I need an application before I can give an accurate rate quote, but the fact is, there are so many factors to consider now. The worst thing I can do is over-promise and under-deliver.

"Looking for your best mortgage rate? Here's 20 questions to ask"

Quote:
1) What’s the term?
  • Mortgage contract length (“term”) and rate type (fixed or variable) are usually the biggest factors impacting your rate.
  • As of this writing, the cheapest five-year fixed rate, for example, costs 50 basis points (bps) more than the cheapest five-year variable rate. (Note: 100 basis points equals one percentage point, so 47 bps equals 0.47 percentage points.)
2) Is the mortgage for your primary residence, a second home or a rental that you won’t live in?
  • If you rent out the property and don’t live there, you’ll pay up to 25 bps more than if it were your primary residence.
  • The cheapest rates are seldom available on second homes or unusual properties.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...+Article+Links

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 02-06-2017 at 10:42 AM.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote