View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #182
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Apparently in your world being _________ is A-OK.

I never said these things are acceptable just because they're apart of the game. Does spearing happen? Yes, probably once or twice a season. Drasaitl just took a ####ing weapon to another man's balls, and him and his victim are going to play against each other two damn days later.

Ask any hockey player if they think they can be speared on any given game. Why does spearing continue to happen if it's not acceptable? I mean to suggest it SHOULD NEVER happen ever, then why does it happen once in a while?

Let's take a more serious situation as an example. Do roofers fall to their death? Yes, all the time. So what, do you think roofers tell themselves "Duh.... I didn't know I could fall off a roof. Gulp?". Do they continue to climb up that roof everyday? Does that mean I believe and support these roofer's should fall to their deaths? Christ no! Do I think it's unacceptable?! Yes, no roofer should die on the job, ever.

But let me tell you something -- and I'm sure many can attest to this -- you will not believe how many god awfully stupid people out there climb on roofs without even the slightest consideration for their own well-being. And the company, who gives them harnesses and tells them they could be fired if they're not tied off, gets charged and fined and pays an increase in WCB premiums when that roofer falls.

I'm sorry but Henderson knew he could get hit and have back problems and could experience a retirement in pain and misery. He knew that before Wideman and not that it's acceptable that these things happen, but yes, it is a part of the game.

I wish it didn't happen, but I mean the guy isnt exactly doing that bad. He knew it could happen. He makes a decent living doing it. He comes to work even after several close calls and injuries and even spinal SURGERY. And even after all that it happens again and he's going to make millions in a lawsuit from the occupational hazards.

And so I'm unreasonable because I'm asking why he's even on the ice, instead of doing his job safer? I can't ask why he's not wearing protective equipment? I'm sorry, but if I'm a roofer and I know I can fall, id at least be wearing a harness.
this is where you and I fundamentally disagree:

Deliberately cross checking a defenseless official, away from the puck, is NOT part of the game!

your driving example:

yes, driving is inherently dangerous
people take precautions, regular maintenance checks, wearing seat belts etc

but they still drive as that's how they get to work

So, you are driving along macleod, guy making a left, turning directly in front of you...big accident happens... you have medical issues as a result... other driver is charged with an unsafe turn and is at fault...

Now you're saying that the you should accept that, because that potentially can happen anytime, any where? And that you wouldn't seek damages?

really?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: