View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 AM   #173
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished. Still better than most shows on TV but definitely not the best season. It started off pretty good, hit a lull mid season, then got really good again before sputtering to the finish in the last 2 episodes.

I did like a lot about the season especially Claire's arc and her finally breaking the 4th wall. Also, some of the sub plots were good including capturing the domestic terrorist and the mystery around the leak and the resulting White House paranoia. The payoff for the latter wasn't great though which was part of my main problem with the season: Frank's story. It seemed like he made a lot of decisions that went against character or were poorly explained. This includes the shark jumping Cecil mentioned.

The issue for me is the rise to power was so much more intriguing than hanging onto power and I think the writers are running out of ideas and stretching things out. Also, the murders were shocking early in the series but now they just seem like a lazy ex machina to solve all the Underwood's problems. That said the season left the story in a somewhat interesting new place and I think they can get at least one more decent season out of it.