View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 06:01 PM   #17
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
1. No. Not unless you literally Sue them. Which you generally dont want to do. Firstly because Tax Lawyer cost a fortune and secondly because they absolutely do hold grudges.

2. Thats not uncommon at all.

In fact, within the last few years I've noticed that CRA have even stopped sending out responses of how your case worked out.

If they deem that you owe them money they will send a NoRA accompanied by a bill with a threat of more penalties and interest.

If they deem that everything is fine you will likely get complete silence. "No news is Good News?"

They used to commonly issue statements notifying the Taxpayer that the matter is resolved and the case is closed, but thats hit or miss these days.

The problem with electronically uploading documents to CRA, and yes, I know this sounds stupid, is that it can go anywhere....up to and including nowhere.

I had an issue a few years back where I uploaded a client's documents and a third of it went to Winnipeg (where it was supposed to go) a third of it went to Surrey and a third of it went to Ottawa.

This wasn't 3 separate submissions. This was all submitted at the same time under the same confirmation number.

Why did it get broken up and go to 3 different places to be reviewed by a half-dozen different people?

CRA: *shrugs* All Shoulders. "Maybe send it again? Are you sure you sent it?"

I have a confirmation number. I PDF every confirmation number and save it in the client's file. How can it be simply 'gone?'

I know it sounds nuts, but it happens.
It's become absurd the past couple years. Feels like they are short on staff/competent staff while more tax legislation/filing obligations are being implemented. These put the onus on individuals and their accountants to decipher what needs to be filed to avoid significant financial penalties.

Kim Moody sums up my feelings pretty well: https://financialpost.com/personal-f...ax-legislation
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post: