View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #36
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
So if someone starts an action, thinking it will be OK, but then has doubts, but social pressure forces them to continue. is that consenting behaviour, or coercion?
Define force?

If it's anything less than actual force or threat of force and it's only social pressure, I would consider it consenting behaviour. Absolutely.

"Let's go to the mall" "Nah I don't want to" "But it will be fun." "Fine." That's consenting to go to the mall.

"Let's play truth or dare" "Nah I don't want to" "But it will be fun." "Fine." That's consenting to play truth or dare.

"Let's have some weed" "Nah I don't want to" "But it will be fun." "Fine." That's consenting to have some weed.

"Let's jump that guy" "Nah I don't want to" "But it will be fun." "Fine." That's consenting to jump a guy.

"Let's _______" "Nah I don't want to" "But it will be fun." "Fine." That's consenting to ________.

I don't care what the blank is. I think your argument is actually very much the opposite of what you are an advocate of. If you don't give people the ability to consent under pressure to something, that's removing their ability to consent. And of course this is after them showing their hesitation to actually do something, which may not be the case in your argument. Peer pressure should never absolve someone's responsibilities.

Of course none of this applies if a person is unable to make decisions (i.e. to drunk).

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-21-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote