Thread: Ignore feature
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #19
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How would you have it work? If I quote somebody you have on ignore, do you see just my reply? Wouldn't that seem weird to have me ranting about something you didn't know was a direct reply to somebody?

If you have it not show my post if I quote somebody on ignore, what if somebody then quotes my post? How many layers should this software give us?

I get what you are saying, it would be great if the software did exactly what you want it to do. However like most things in IT security, there is some human involvement as well. Spam filters will let the odd piece of spam through; you still need to know not to send that Nigerian prince your money.

The other consideration- how much server resources should be allocated to this? I was away on the 1st, but didn't hear of any issues. Would we want to give up our servers' ability to handle the load to allow for a robust ignore feature?
Thank-you for the more measured and detailed response.

I profess I am not savvy in the operations of a website so your response alleviated some of the "why's" of my query.

Having said that, how hard would it be to have the quote blocked as well. I can see ignored poster "Turd Burgler deluxe" is making a post but I cannot see its content, I figure the same thing could be done in quote.

I understand if that is a sever load issue or whatnot, I just wanted a little clarity. Not some blanket doormat statement like the previous mod made.

Honestly if we are putting people on ignore, it shouldn't really be "let's ignore this person until someone else is having a conversation with them".

Because at the end of the day, if we have someone on ignore, we know full well where the conversation is going and we are choosing not to see it. The ignore functions purpose should be just that, not selective as to how we choose to not see the content. Sorry if this isn't articulated in the best way.

If it is purely a technical issue that is akin to climbing a massive mountain and requires many man hours to make work, I get that it cannot be addressed.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote