View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #35
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Wait a minute, if you're going to be backpacking or travelling light, especially for a year - you're coming at this the wrong way.

Forget camera specs and bringing a bunch of lenses - what you'd need is something compact, good range zoom, manual controls, and weatherproofable. I laughed at the German guy and his NEX-5 lugging this satchel of lenses everywhere and trying to change in the dust of the Namibian desert.

What you need is a Canon G16 / G1X Mk 2 and a Pelican 1050 case ($24). Good controls (manual), decent IQ, all in a company weatherproof / dust proof case. Not too expensive so if it does get stolen it's not the end of the world. Discrete too so you don't attract unwanted attention.

I'm a photographer but a traveller first - and that means a compromise on the camera side.
To be honest, I'm going to wait on the lense purchases but still get the A6000
with the stock lense. The reality for me is I want to invest in photography and grow int the lenses. At least with the A6000 it's small enough to take with me wherever. I like the flexibility of the inter changeable lenses going in to the future. I just get ahead of myself sometimes when making purchases like this and get caught up in all the doodads and trinkets that come with it.

Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote