View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #40
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I've ridden the L, delays are negligible as there are constant trains running as opposed to one every 20 minutes. I could care less about the 'dirty' issue, it's a public transit system used by millions, it's not going to be spic and span. I've literally sat on a C-train bench with a drunk sleeping underneath it, the reality is that things like that are going to be a part of such an open system. Heck, if dirty ruins a system then the NYC subway is horrible.
Well, I guess... dirty does bug me, and it's not a necessary outcome of having public transit. Boston's T is actually pretty well immaculate by comparison--but then, Boston is a good deal "cleaner" than Chicago generally. I guess for me, I found the L to be delayed a lot, dirty and to not have enough trains. In Boston there's a train every 3-5 minutes; it's awesome. Calgary doesn't compare to that, but on balance, it's not too bad considering it's a relatively new system.

Honestly, Calgary's major transit problem is very simple: there's not enough of it. It needs massive expansion to every quadrant of the city. That would ease traffic congestion and improve the quality of life of people who work downtown but live in the burbs. It might even ease worker crunches in the service industry by giving people who live in less affluent neighbourhoods an economical way of getting to work in different parts of the city.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote