View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Is it as good as dota yet? I've been playing dota since 2003/4 (old warcraft mod version), and have just never found that either of the two main competitors have the balance, depth, or difficulty.
Haven't played Dota at anywhere near the level that I play HotS, but ... it's different.

Balance: from what I've heard, every character in Dota is competitively viable, and HotS has not been able to achieve that. Balance patches are frequent but tend to be over-reactions.

Depth: no last hitting, no denial, no items. But there's talent choices, team synergies, and map mechanics to contend with.

Difficulty: laning is much simpler, being de-emphasized. Instead the emphasis is on teamwork, co-ordination, and map control.

But for me, there's another factor...

Fun: for me, DotA was a bit of a chore. I found it tough to learn the game and play the game at the same time. Having already put in the time, you might find it great. But I find HotS more fun. Laning is shorter, and that shifts emphasis to finding picks, teamfights, and contesting objectives.

If you enjoy Dota, and you're getting into HotS, you'll get a more similar experience if you focus on solo lane characters: most maps have a lane that is too far from the others to rotate to without losing minion soak, and it's usually a 1v1 between two characters who have good poke and self-sustain. Or you could try to experience what's different in HotS, and pick characters who shine in the 3 or 4-man group.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: