View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #26
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how exactly you will be able to do quests alone when other players are partaking in the same battles. Bungie hasn't been crystal clear about how exactly you can ignore others and how others can influence your game.
I've just played the beta. Not really read up on Destiny, or talked to many others about how it works. So these are my impressions. If I say something incorrect, someone please correct me.

As mentioned, there is the Crucible, which is the PVP arena.

Besides that, there is a Story mode, Strike mode, and Explore mode.

I don't believe the beta does much in the Story, they probably want to avoid spoiling the experience in the Beta. I found this quote:
Quote:
"You aren't required or forced to play any story missions in Destiny as part of a co-op group," clarified Bungie community manager Eric "Urk" Osborne on NeoGAF.
Now for Strike and Explore modes, they begin in the same "Overworld" type map. At any time you might see up to 8 or so other players in the same area as you. These players are all on the same side. You are all there to shoot the bad guys. So this part I consider very similar to Borderlands. Roaming some wastelands, popping some baddies. The only difference is that you might randomly come across some other human players. It's more part of the atmosphere than a big impact on your game.

The Strike missions do have a goal, typically with a boss type fight. This means you descend into a dungeon type area. As you do so, the random strangers disappear from your game. Anybody organized into a Fireteam (think squad) will continue on this Strike mission together until the boss is defeated. When you return to the Overworld area, you might come across more human players again.

The Explore missions are some simple side quests. Again, similar to some of the Borderlands missions. Kill 10 enemies of this type in the area. Pick some seeds of this plant or whatnot.

So, the biggest theme is that outside of the Crucible (PVP Arena) mode, the other human players are all friendly, and sort of more part of the atmosphere than directly impacting your game. If you really, really don't want to come across any players in your game, not sure if you can turn that off. Maybe just for the Story mode.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote