View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #58
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

While there is definitely some reputation/pedigree favoritism in the league, I think by and large the NHL is very fair when it comes to rewarding talent. Certainly much more than most occupations. Pedigree/reputation will get you some 2nd/3rd looks, but if you don't perform, you are gone, and someone else is taking your place. I think this is especially true when you start moving up the depth chart. I mean, there are probably 2-3 times the amount of capable 13th forwards and 7th defensemen in the minors then there are in the NHL.

So while the very bottom of the NHL roster can largely be determined by being in the right place at the right time, I think the more permanent spots are earned, and I believe its mostly the player's responsibility to earn those spots.

I'm not sure I believe that there is much difference between the development programs of the 31 NHL hockey teams. It's a small community. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing. Most mangers and players have been part of 2-3 or more different organizations. Anything that comes out that is truly innovative and actually makes a difference in performance is quickly adopted by all clubs.

Players have access to coaches for advice, but I believe that development is probably 90% on the player and the rest on situation and other variables.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-06-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post: