View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #57
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
I'm going strictly by the CapFriendly Waivers Caclulator (https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator ... but it appears the following will require waivers this season:
- Kulak
- Wotherspoon
- Poirier
- Lazar
- Shinkaruk

Only Klimchuk seems to be waiver-exempt this season from 2013 or prior. (He's the youngest). Maybe there's an exception with Poirier only 43 games played last season, but I doubt it?

Anyhow - if the above list is accurate, does that not put the Flames in a pickle? I guess on "D" they will likely give Kulak an NHL spot and risk losing Wotherspoon. (Who will likley pass through anyway...in fact I think he already did last season).

But on forward -> there are not enough spots to go around! Are we going to risk losing Shinkaruk and/or Poirier to waivers? Or is the CapFriendly calculator wrong?

Kinda defeats the purpose of "Over-Ripening". In fact, it puts a very strict time-line on just how long you can have your prospects toil in the AHL. No?
the thing is, all the fanbases in the league probably look at their prospect list and think the same way of their minor leaguers...

Fanbases tend to overvalue their own prospects. Other GMs might take a flyer on a kid, but there's a limit to the number of contracts a team can carry i believe, so picking up would means potentially cutting another

that's not to say we wouldn't lose a guy, but if you think back to the training camp cut down day where we lost Byron, i think only 2 players were picked up in the entire league that day...

its definitely something to be aware of, but probably the majority of the teams in the NHL will have a number of similar players in the same situation.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote