Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #44
Deuce Bigalow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Agreed with IliketoPuck,

I had a lateral release, tibula tubula transfer, medial plication done on my left knee (for reoccuring dislocations) 5 months ago, and I am going to have it done on my right 1 week from today. I'd asy my left knee is at about 70% of where it should be.

A few things I learnt from the first time:

1. Eat well. Seems obvious, but how can your body repair itself if you dont have all the nutrients.

2. Cryo Cuff's are money. Other than the obvious benefits I really liked it as it kept my leg from getting itchy while it was in my locking brace for a month. That and it could store a few extra beers in it.

3. Obviously check with the doc, but I would definatley hop on a joint supplement afterwards, it can only help.

4. Keep you leg up as much as possible. A few times I had my leg just straight and I'd wake up with my foot super swollen.

5. Keep doing calf stretches / ankle rotations. If i didn't do this all the time my calf would often sieze up in the middle of the night, very painful!

6. Dont rush back to physical activity. My doc and physio both say this is the # 1 problem after the surgery. What is an extra couple of weeks/months of rehab vs screwing it up again?

Thats about it. I aint a doctor so if your's tells you otherwise obviously go with that.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote