View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #6512
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

his agent is pretty saavy here. If this is true this is all about options and cashing in.

While there is a good chance that McDavid would get an offer sheet, if he pushes things to UFA and McDavid builds a resume, he'll probably get a cyclone bidding war when he hits UFA, he'll be able to effectively pick and choose and the 5 years will allow a lot of teams to clear their decks cap wise because getting a McDavid for next to nothing is just too hard to pass up.

Plus there's market seduction as well, McDavid can choose where he wants to play New York, Colorado, LA, Toronto Philly.

As well a lower year deal will allow them to know where the cap is going to be and what the next NHL/NHLPA landscape is going to be, he might be able to max out at 14 now I think, but in 5 years maybe its 16 or 17. Now Oiler fans will huff and say, with Connor its not about the money, its about his special relationship with Edmonton and its fan. But talk to any player and its a straight math equation. Short career x max dollars = cramming money away for the future. If he can go 5 years at 12 and then 7 at lets say 17 or 18 it makes sense to go short.

He's also able to give Edmonton a slight discount in exchange for less term and come out looking like the hero that Messier likes to bounce on his lap and hand feed chips too.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!