Thread: Big Brother 19
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #40
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Paolo has said they are calling Alex "Pao Pao" just because they are both of Asian descent, but that's not true. If that was the case, they would also be calling her Jun or Helen. They are calling her "Pao Pao" because she's pretty much Paolo 2.0 in both looks, and more importantly, personality. People have been compared to past Big Brother players all the time like this, taking issues this time because they are not white is racist itself. I mean the first guy out was voted out because they saw him as the next Ian or Steve...

I do think it's a bit malicious in how Jessica has been calling her Pao Pao, because she seems to be a catty person who doesn't like Alex because Cody does, and clearly intending to mock her by calling her a copycat or wannabe. But I think saying it's racist is a stretch.
I agree with both this and your comments regarding Megan (if you're going to suggest that someone has made racist remarks on national television, you ought to be pretty damn sure you heard what you think you heard.) Kne thing that I wondered (while watching the episode) was whether Jessica and others were reluctant to point out the Pao Pao/Panda misunderstanding because they were worried that Pao Pao might also not be well-received. Seems at least plausible.