View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
my M$ world

Xbox 360 (obviously not replaceable) but it does have to connect with an apple server
Linksys 610 dual band simultaneous router - does it survive or do i need an airport?
HP Windows Home Server - is there an equivalent in the Apple world? backups, syncing media and acting as a media hub for the 360 and laptops; is there an equivalent to this in the apple world? Does it stream video? (its a dumb question but i have to ask)
Home Computers - will my laptop and Desktop function in the new apple environment until i replace them?
DLNA and wireless for TVs - does the apple environment support DLNA?
USB devices - i have a few; do they work in the apple environment or is that an "it depends". What is the deal with apple and usb?
Looking at this list, there's no real need to do a whole-hog replacement of everything. Apple's Time Capsule is a nice router/NAS, but it doesn't talk with a 360 for streaming (no DLNA at all in the Apple world). Unless you go with third-party software or hacks, you're stuck in the iTunes ecosystem, which can be a PITA for some people, but in general the AppleTV is really nice.

I suppose you could revamp your media with:
-Time Capsule
-Mac Mini (or a laptop, as you need an active Mac to stream to an AppleTV, unless you hack it)
-AppleTV

Otherwise, just start small by adding a laptop/desktop and go from there. I have the following:

Games: 360, PS3
HTPC: Mac Mini (running Plex)
NAS: FreeNAS box with 4x2 TB
Laptop: MacBook Pro
Desktop: Custom PC
Router: Linksys WRT running Tomato

All work fine together.

Re: Apple and USB. It "just works" most of the time (especially with printers).
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
McG