View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #147
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
It is easy to find a bottom 6 player though, especially when you dangle a second round draft pick. Lazar is a project, not a commodity. You don't pay a second for a project. Can he turn out, absolutely. Are the odds likely in our favour, nope.

The point is we didn't pay a 4th or 5th round pick for this project, we paid a 2nd which I think is an extremely high price for someone who really has a limited ceiling. People seem to talk on here like he was a free addition.

Say we are contending this year and need some help at the deadline. A 2nd could land us someone like Brian Boyle. Basically the pick of the litter of any bottom 6 player available.
A 2nd may land you a rental bottom 6 player at the deadline, sure. This isn't a deadline deal. It is a deal for a cost-controlled young player with a decent pedigree. As BT mentioned at the STH lunch, think of it as drafting a ready (or near ready) NHL player with the 47th overall pick (or whatever it ended up being). You should do that 10/10 times.

Edit: I meant "rental" rather than "deadline" deal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post: