View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #33
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

As far as best selling system ever goes, that title is held by the PS2 at 155 million units. The NES/Famicom, by comparison, reached only 40% of that total, and just over 61 million units. I think it decidedly unlikely that Nintendo will sell over 2 1/2 times as many retro consoles with no ability to add games as it did the original thing.
This. And also it's important not to forget at the time the PS2 was the most affordable DVD player as well, so it had quite the timing. To imagine a console beating it without "doing" anything other than play games is quite a lofty task.

There's a thing about nostalgia. It's a warm blanket for the soul, and as a result in certain industries (gaming especially) its importance is magnified beyond what is realistic. Backwards compatibility is always listed by gamers as necessary, but in practice very few people actually play older games. I have an NES Classic that I'm giving to my kids for Christmas, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be playing it more than 10 hours over the next 5 years.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote