View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #272
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
2. But there are a few issues that go farther. Like quotas. Quotas just upset people. For example if a law school has 100 spots and the white guy finishes 101 overall regardless of minority then it's still favoring white guys less but he's has to accept it. But if he's 91st overall but can't get in because they have to let in 20 minorities/low income/women/whatever then he will think he's lost rights. Another issue is that grades is not the only factor. There's GPA and test scores and volunteering and work experience and personality and quotas that make the admission process very subjective and yes if there were no quotas the selector would be very biased.
I agree with that. There is a belief among many minorities and whites that all white people are on equal footing. It's not the case at all. There are "colonial stock" whites whose ancestors basically acquired free land and their wealth can be traced back to that (and in the Southern U.S., to slavery). Then there are white people who came over relatively recently with virtually nothing and are now looked upon like "they" did something wrong simply because of their skin colour. Now things like "affirmative action" (or in Canada the more euphemistically named "equal opportunity employment") prevent some white people from getting opportunities that they are qualified for.

I think it's simply lazy to classify people based on skin colour. I am willing to bet if all interviews for school and employment were done blindly, there would be a natural and fair equalization anyway.