View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 03:05 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Haiti was punished for centuries for being able to assert there independence. They were burdened with sanctions, paying back costs they couldn't afford, other European colonial nations wouldn't recognize them or trade with them. Seeing Haiti become successful would have set a bad precedence in other slave colonies that hoped to rebel. The unfair reparations payments (or extortion payments) took Haiti 122 years to pay off (or to 1926). By that time, they were broke, starving, and extremely underdeveloped. They completely missed the industrial revolution because they were too poor to participate, and sanctions meant that other countries wouldn't deal with them. Add to that, they country is also prone to violent natural disasters.

The former colonial powers and countries in the Americas, really need to help Haiti to become a prosperous country. If you do that, there will be no need for violence.
An excellent post, thank you for this again even though I already thanked you! It's not often to see acknowledgement/admission of the colonial western powers, what they've done and what they've left in their paths. Usually, it's more blaming of the suffering country and their people (um, sort of like that other post here), and then sometimes suggesting that what they need is for the imperialists to go in and fix them because they can't do it themselves, completely ignoring why they can't.

Related to the situation, and I have no idea, which is why I ask, are there any valuable resource deposits that Haiti is known for or recently known for? Hope not, because that will then usually mean the powers will eventually battle to control it and further destroy the country.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: