View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #429
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
All this talk about Westgarth hurting the Sedins is just so dumb.

FACT 1: Westgarth didn't throw a single punch at Bieksa
FACT 2: Westgarth let Bieksa go when it was clear he didn't want to fight

So if Westgarth doesn't "Jump" Bieksa, a noted tough guy and fighter, why would he do it to a Sedin?

And on the other hand, you have Sestito sent out purposely to punch and attack an unwilling combatant in Nolan after a clean hit (a poor man's Bertuzzi/Moore).

I suppose I can see why the Canucks thought that Westgarth and McGrattan WOULD have beaten the Sedins heads in because THAT IS WHAT THE CANUCKS DO, beat unwilling combatants, but, that's not what the Westgarth and McGrattan do, and it's not what the Calgary Flames do.
There's a very large gulf between attacking them and doing nothing. There are a lot of ways the Sedins could've gotten roughed up that don't involve fighting. Bottom line is you don't send out your 1st line where your center has a rib injury and your winger is in his first game back from a broken jaw up against a 4th line who is out there to set a tone and fire up their team.

And I suppose Dave Tippett must be a dirty coach as well as he seems to agree with Tortorella's reticence to send out his skill players against that line:

Quote:
"I think John said it best - you have to look out for the welfare of your players,"
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441708
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote