View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
basqie
Draft Pick

Default Landlord & Security Deposit & Damage Bill???

So this is my first post, and bear with me on this one.
I really need an advice here.

I moved out from my apartment end of March, did the walkthrough with the "current" resident manager.
During that time, she noted the kitchen countertop was damage. I told her that the damage happened when there was a sink that overflowed from the unit above me. During the time I was out of the country and the "former" resident manager told me when I came back.

A few weeks later, I got a mail from the landlord stating how much it cost to replace the countertop and other stuff which in total was more than my deposit. Therefore I would not get them back.
ALSO, it stated that I owe them back. In the letter, it stated the date when the damage occured.

I've been calling the landlord multiple times and left messages with not reply. Note that this is a corporation, so I've spoken with the reception.

My question is:
- How do I get part of my deposit back? Some of the charges are correct, but the countertop one was not my fault.
- Are they allowed to bill me for damages? Especially if it's not my fault?

The amount for some people is not huge, but for me it matters (every little dime), and it's not worth it to bring to court.

The proof I have:
- walk out inspections that stated "damage/stained from flood from above".
- letter from landlord stating cost of damage, the date of when the flood occured.
- copy of my ticket stating that I was out of the country on the date that was stated in the letter.

Any advice?
Thanks!
basqie is offline   Reply With Quote