View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #2319
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
If i'm not mistaken Iginla was usually one of the fittest if not the fittest players in training camp each season. The problem during Iginla's tenure wasn't his work ethic it was mindset of the team that counted on him to do everything.No one player can do it all and the players we got to support him were players weren't players who could take some of the roles away from him. Tanguay and Huselius main role was to pass the puck. Even Jokinen wasn't a player to take over some of the offensive duties. Iginla was counted on scoring goals for the team, being physical, which included getting into fights to protect himself, and captain the team. He had to cheat a bit on the defensive side of the game because without him the team struggle to win. He wasn't cheating because he had no work ethic it was because he knew he would be counted on to use his strengths in the offensive zone.

The team's ethic didn't appear because Iginla left. It appeared because many of the players at the time only had work ethic to their name. This team didn't turn around because Iginla left it turned around because of Giordano, Brodie, Gaudreau and Monahan helped create a balanced team. With Iginla the team was built to be carried by one guy. Now we are building a team with a more balanced approach.

I believe you cannot see but for your eyes..... the team gave up on itself while he was the captain and even though he used to win just by his talent alone he could not do that anymore.
I really enjoyed the way he could put everyone on his back and win for us he had to reinvent himself like Lanny did before him to win the cup.
He did not do that and almost killed his legacy as well as his team.
The hardest thing for a generational talent sometimes is to put the team a head of himself.

I again I am not placing the blame only on him but without him leaving the team could not win. And without having him there to win the game by himself the team had to reinvent itself.
Now concerning bringing him back, look at the teams that he was on in the last number of years. Something does not pass the eye and nose test. Let the young guys that we have try to win a spot on the team. Let him finish his fantastic career with another gold medal for Canada and then we can retire him with a one day contract and he can go into the hall of fame on the first ballet.
Wouldn't be better to have a Hollywood ending?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk