View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The article isn't bad, but the points just aren't well made and lack context. As an example:

"That’s where the lack of prospect development comes in. Bennett — who, again, has been a major disappointment as a fourth-overall pick — and Monahan are the only Flames first-rounders pre-Tkachuk to become NHL regulars in the past several years. And that’s despite the fact that they had five first-round picks from 2012 to 2014. The other three have a combined 10 NHL games played between them, and just one assist (I looked it up: it was a secondary)."

Thanks for looking that up tips.
The context I would add is
- All 3 of the referenced are late first rounders
- Jankowski only turned pro last season and showed very good promise
- The other two certainly have questions surrounding them right now, as do most late first rounders

So then I look to those drafts and who was immediately taken in those areas
- Andre Burakovksy was picked immediately after Emile and has established himself as a good NHLer. She Theodore was drafted 26th and shows promise. Fair to say this wasn't a good selection
- Morgan Klinchuk was taken 28. Ryan Hartman went 30th and is looking more solid. After that, not much around this area.

So he is making a point about poor drafting that I would say only applies to Emile at this point.

It is just not a well made argument.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: