View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Watching that video I couldn't help but be frustrated at how hard it is for a center to score just 53 points in today's NHL. Prime Backlund could have easily scored 80+ if he were playing with Iggy in 2007 or so when it was power plays galore, way looser checking and less sound voaltenders on average I mean Olli Jokinen scored 80+ multiple times in that era and was never half the player I am watching in this video. We expect Bennett to score 50 but look at how many of Backlund's points touched the sticks of three or four great players on the rush or forecheck before they get back to Backlund's stick - and that's with Backlund being a Selke caliber play driver. No wonder Bennett struggled last year. Even Toews and Kopitar didn't hit 60 last year... frustrating AF. Crosby had less points last year than Brad Richards in 2006.

Also that OT Goal by Brodie / Backs / Frolik really made me sad. What. A. Goal. Brodie is being so neutered without Hartley's wide open system. I get why we play safer hockey now... it's easier/more effective for some guys especially down the lineup to play in that structure...but a guy like Brodie needs the puck on his stick with some open ice and a green light to just be TJ Brodie. I could rewatch that goal all day.

Watching this video kind of changed my optimism for the season. We have a #1 center worth of a player between Backlund / Monahan. Just gotta get past the Ducks.
This year will probably be better for Brodie in regards to the bolded. He finally has a legitimate partner to stabilize his own zone so that he can take some more risks offensively. Hamonic will do wonders for Brodie's game. Remember that last year Brodie had a lame duck Wideman, Engelland, and then Stone (I like Stone, but he's nowhere near the calibre of defenseman that Hamonic is). Still, once Stone arrived, Brodie put up 13 points in 19 games because he finally had a stable partner to help him get the puck up the ice. I wouldn't be shocked to see him score at that rate this year with Hamonic as his partner.

Remember, it's safer hockey, but the system is designed to turn the puck over with sticks, and not necessarily the body, and quickly transition the other way for offense. That seems like the ideal system from Brodie to play in actually.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: