View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #110
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't understand why some people keep bringing up his teaching career as if Trudeau should be embarrassed by it. Are teachers shamed in Alberta or something?

He went to UBC, McGill, was involved in politics for 7 years and is now PM. I'm not sure why he should be embarrassed by that?

You don't like him, fine, I get it. But to bring up his teaching career or schooling like it's something he should be ashamed of is pretty ridiculous, imo.
I have nothing against teachers (my mother was a teacher for 30 years) and I value the important work they do. But don't kid yourself, it's not an overly challenging career path from an intellectual standpoint. And to be clear, if he had taught for a decade or so leading up to his political career and gained increasing responsibility (as a department head or similar) along the way, I would have much more respect for the man.

That's unfortunately not the case. He dabbled in teaching - mainly as a sub -
quit after a couple years, attempted and failed an engineering degree at Polytechnique, then dropped out of an environmental geography program at McGill. It's behaviour characteristic of someone who has never had to work to support themselves - a silver spoon child.

I didn't say that I don't like him or that he should be ashamed of his background, but compared to his predecessors, it's nothing to admire. It's a fair and justified point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
He doesn't have a Master's Degree? Who gives a fata? It clearly didn't disqualify him (nor should it have), so what do you care that he didn't stay at University an extra two years when he was 23?
I believe that the PM should be one our best and brightest, not a man of unremarkable mediocrity. Not necessarily a Master's, but some proof of above average intellectual aptitude would be nice. That's just my preference, I guess I'm an elitist.

When you look at the credentials of King (MA and Phd, Harvard), Pearson (BA and MA, Oxford), Trudeau Sr. (MA, Harvard, Sciences Po), Turner (MA, Oxford), and Campbell (LSE); today's leaders clearly don't compare (and I'll slot Harper in this category too).
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post: