View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 03:23 AM   #341
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will add something that may help you younger guys, I suffered a bit from 'is that all there is' in my late forties, I was happy with my life but weirdly wandering around Southlands in Vancouver, some of the most expensive land in Canada, I realized even though I was doing ok my chance to own a house like these was wholly gone, that foster parent/youth worker/middle class was all I would ever be.

The odd thing was I never aspired to being wealthy and was content with my life, it was just the realization that my life was set, that this was who I was, that my age meant I no longer had options was a bit sobering, I was clearly going to carry on for another 15 or 20 years then sell my house and retire up the valley or out onto the Island, this was set in stone.

Cut to 15 years later and I have an adopted 15 year old so I aint retiring and there are so few foster parents left due to Covid and house prices in Van that I can't spend the money they pay me to stay working, I mean I'm never buying a place in Southlands but I am way way better off than I could ever have dreamed 20 years ago, the assumptions we make at 45 that tend to be a bit morbid and can be way way off
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: