View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 09:11 AM   #342
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I work with a lot of seniors and with out a doubt the ones who are the happiest are also the ones who have the best mobility. Strength for aesthetics is over rated, but strength as it relates to mobility is super underrated.
It's interesting that (it feels to me, at least) pretty much 90% of the fitness industry's message is essentially "workout so you're bangable or everyone is jealous of your sweet, sweet ass." In reality, it makes far more sense if the message is "one day you may struggle to get off the toilet, and you're gonna want to avoid that."

I think we've all probably had the experience of working out to lose weight, it not happening, and that being frustrating. In reality, moving the body around is a straight-up win every single time regardless of what happens to your weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
...Not to be morbid or fatalist, but I've started trying to live life as if I am going to die one day...
I get that some people don't like to think certain ways, but I've found this to be very powerful. Meditating on the fact that nothing in this life will ever stick around can be existentially crushing, or it can be fuel to do great things.

I've seen many quote that line from The Office where Andy Bernard says says "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." A lot of people I've seen quote that treat it as a sad, nostalgic thing, while others treat it as a reminder that (for many) these are the good old days. My friends are alive, my kids are healthy, I can walk around the neighbourhood whenever I want and not worry about my body failing catastrophically... in a certain circumstance, the day may come when you'd give every penny you have for another today.

I find that mindset enormously powerful, but it all comes from the very dark place of knowing that everything changes, breaks down, and dies.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: