View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #65
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm staying in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku on my next trip. My previous trip was with a tour in the Shibuya area and traveling around from there wasn't too difficult.

My buddy came back recently and he Air BnB'd. Said it was a great way to save coin. He did mention though that on occasion he had to trek a little bit to figure out where the Air BnB was as the location wasn't as obvious as a hotel. I believe he mentioned on certain days he spent a bit over an hour trying to figure out the location without wifi. It's also easier to mail your luggage to a hotel than Air BnB if you don't want to lug it around when traveling city to city (ie: Kyoto/Tokyo). Which he tried to do due to a large suitcase he was concerned wouldn't fit on the bullet train. He also mentioned some Air BnB offer to lend you a pocket wifi included in the stay price, so it's an even better deal than hotels.

There is a little extra stress involved with Air BnB, but my buddy says he'd take that minor stress to save money again. He saved a solid 30-40% of what I will be spending in Japan for accommodations. Buying a 15 day 2GB Japan sim for $33 probably would have helped greatly to reduce the time it took for him to find the Air BnB, even if he has pocket wifi free at many Air BnB.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote