Thread: Music of 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #52
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Love it. I really feel they'd benefit from taking the Black Keys route and adding a bassist and extra guitarist for the bigger shows, especially festivals. They have so much power, melody and drive, but a lot of it gets lost in translation in big venues.

They record multiple guitars in the studio, so it would definitely work well to add live guitars. Either way, great band.
I saw them in a small sweaty punk rock bar and it was awesome. Good point that it wouldn't translate well at big outdoor festival shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
RE: Japandriods. Short album though, eh? 8 songs seems a little short for a 4.5 year wait. Much more depth and very ambitious, but I think I could have done with three or four more songs reminiscent of their first album - pure rock songs with overdriven guitar.

The reviews aren't too favorable so far, this quote kind of struck a chord with my listening

Not to diminish the album, I still think it's great, but if you're expecting the fist pumping, punk rock anthems you may be disappointed.
Good review, I feel the same way. It is tough to be a band these days though. If you stick to the same formula you get critised for becoming stale and repetitive, yet if you experiment you risk alienating your hardcore fan base.