View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #106
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default EV's and Transportation as a Service to kill Alberta economy by 2030?

Car sharing would be a pain in the butt for a family. The amount of gear/crap that stays in the car starting with car seats is a barrier. And don't get me started about how messy the car is after a moderate trip with kids. Now throw dogs into the picture and the car becomes unshareable without a full clean in between.

I think there is a reasonable segment of the population that could satisfy most of their needs without owning a car, but there is a large segment that can't or won't. I could use nothing but car to go and Uber today if I wanted to but I can afford a car or two and that's what I choose. I don't think that changes unless the cost of owning one gets inflated significantly (naturally or artificially). Reducing the cost of the alternative will have little to no affect on my buying habits.

Also, the ride sharing services are going to need to compete with beaters and cheap used cars as that is the segment that is most price sensitive. The alternative is not always a $30000 vehicle with regular maintenance.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: